Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Grey Birds



It sure is a busy time of year.  Once all of the shopping is through and you have attended all of the numerous Christmas parties, Christmas Day arrives in a flurry of shredded wrapping paper and instructions for gadgets written in Chinese.  I enjoy Christmas and the time I spend with family, but I have to admit that I needed a break after a long day of "Daddy, open this!!"

That much needed break came the day after Christmas in a peanut field with Josey the Wonder Dog and my Browning Maxis.  The second dove season here in South Georgia is my favorite because of the abundance of birds and the cooler weather.  Reid and I both wore a light jacket as we sat down next to a peanut hay bale and got ready for a good day of shooting.  We didn't have to wait long as the birds started to make their way into the field across the branch where we were set up.  I was shooting fairly well and Josey was retrieving like a  champion.  Reid and I left the field with our limit in short order.  My Dad also obtained the limit so we had a good mess between us.  As we gathered up after the shoot, several people gave me their birds as well.  Tonight there will be grits, biscuits and close to 100 birds dropped into some 350 degree peanut oil as I cook for the hump day crowd.

I have often told you how much I enjoy wing shooting, but I also enjoy the crowd that gathers when you start serving up game birds.  I love nothing more than good friends enjoying a good meal and reliving the hunt.  Now that's a Christmas present like no other!!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Steve said...

Sounds like a great day from start to finish. Enjoy the birds.

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

I think you need to Fed Ex some of those dudes up this way. They sound yummy! Good to hear your Christmas was enjoyable. Happy New year friend!

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

Pretty cool man, I don't know if I dare shoot my dad's doves... but then again they just become hawk food...

Tom Ham said...

sounds like a great day!