Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Brothers!


I have written several times before about my fraternity days back at good ole' Georgia Southern.  Like many of you, I had a great time in college and made some excellent friends.  I still keep up with some of my fraternity brothers and talk to some of them when I get time to call, but I will be the first to admit that we do not talk often enough.  Life can get in the way of relationships with old college buddies.  You go in different directions, start a career, get married, chase kids, etc, etc, etc.  Sure you see each other at reunions every 5 years or the occasional homecoming game in Statesboro, but on days like today, that really just does not seem good enough.

I lost a brother today.  Shoun was a great guy, Kappa Sigma brother and friend.  I can easily say that he was one of my favorites.  He was coming into the fraternity as I was on my way out, but we had a good relationship and I tried to pass on what I knew about being a good Kappa Sigma brother.  He was always willing to listen.  He died today much too young.  A victim of a massive heart attack.  I haven't spoken to him in 3 years.  Now I wish I had.

Shoun in blue shirt directly behind me at our 40th reunion 3 years ago

Shoun is the third brother that we have lost out of a group of guys that joined the fraternity between 1990 and 1995.  All dead under the age of 40.  Life reminds us that it is too short.  We all need to slow down and make a phone call or two.  We need to make time to catch up with those friends in our lives who have had an impact or the friends in our lives that we love even though we do not get to see them very often.  I know that what has happened today will have an effect on me and I am going to try and spin it in a positive manner.  I am going to try and call my brothers more often or make an effort to see them.  I don't want to hear that another one of my brothers has left us and be sitting here wishing I had told him what he meant to me.  I called 6 of them today.  It's only a start.

Thorn- far left- RIP AEKDB
Hicks- far left- RIP AEKDB

To all my brothers in the Kappa Zeta Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Georgia Southern University,

 AEKDB!!    I love you guys!

Luckie

7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i am sorry, trey...

Ratteree said...

Well said. Love you too!

Main Line Sportsman said...

Very tragic. But keep your commitment to staying in touch with the guys...it is a kind of tribute

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Yesterday got a text from rat. Was great to hear from him. We are going to try and meet up in the near future. Keep calling. Think about hicks and thorn all the time while flipping through facebook. A lot of great fun memories. The same will be with shoun. If anyone wants to get in touch with me my number is 404-667-2266. Aekdb nate

CHERI said...

I didn't realize you had lost so many brothers! All much too young to be gone. All of you need to take care of yourselves...get checkups, look for any signs of trouble. It's easy to tell that your words were written from the heart. It's a good lesson for all of us, no matter what age. Very proud of you:)

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting on the beach crying and can't stop! So hard to believe that we have lost three friends that meant so much to us! Life is far to short!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Today was a difficult day, but we were there for one another and that seemed to make everything much better.

If you are not signed up to follow this blog your name will come up as anonymous. Please leave me your name like Nate did so that I will know who you are.

Thanks again!