Monday, March 26, 2012

2012 Turkey Opener!


I had high hopes for 2012.  After our 2011 season, something had to go right.  Besides, as I have written before, I'm an awesome turkey hunter in even numbered years!

Our 2012 opening morning did not go as expected.  Our scouting in the days leading up to opening day had located a bird roosted on a clear cut that had been more than willing to gobble.  Daddy and I made our plans and got there in plenty of time to get set up on the other side of the clear cut before daylight would give us away.  In our minds, we saw it happening like this.   We would get our decoys set up in the road about 500 yards from his roost and back off into some bushes to wait for the Tom to start his morning routine.  We would just call him off the roost and allow him to walk down the road right to us.  Everything was going according to plan except for one small thing.  The Tom didn't gobble.  We waited and waited but he was no where to be heard or seen.  After a long wait, we decided to move and starting chasing 4 different birds, none of which were located on our property.  Try as we may, we could not talk sweetly enough for any of them to cross over to our property lines.

We headed home with a plan for the afternoon and to catch a much needed nap.  Daddy picked me up at 3:00 and we headed back out.  We discussed several different set up options, but decided on an old reliable plan that has proven effective in the past.  We set up our decoys in a fire break in a small head of woods.  On our way into the set up, we noticed scratching and plenty of turkey signs.  These woods are fairly shady and provide cooler temperatures.  The birds have been know to hang out in here and we have killed a few afternoon birds in this same spot.  We started calling every ten minutes or so at about 3:30.  I saw the first turkey at 4:00.  A Jake was making his way to our set up followed by a hen.  It didn't take long for the strutter to make his presence known as he was spitting and drumming his way through the trees.  I let him step into my view and found that red head in the middle of my Tri-Vis sites.  The combination of Browning turkey gun and 3 1/2 inch magnum shells ended his day in a hurry.  Final tally- 12.5 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs, 20 lbs.  A very nice bird!

We picked up and tried to make our way to the food plat where one very slick Tom calls home.  I really wanted Daddy to get a bird today as well.  Long story short, we were busted walking in.  Two Toms crossed the road in front of us and made it known that they were not interested in hanging around.  We were out slicked once again.

It's and even year for this turkey hunter and I am off to a good start.  I look forward to what the rest of the year will bring!!

11 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations! Looks like a great bird.

Steve said...

Great bird! Hope there are more to come.

The Gang said...

Awesome! I had rough go at it last year myself. Glad to see you kick of the season with success. Our opener is not until Tax DAY. What is favorite way of preparing your Toms for dinner table?

Unknown said...

I've had it prepared all different kinds of ways, but my favorite without a doubt is fried. I cut my breast into small chunks and soak in buttermilk and Texas Pete overnight. I flour with House Autry's chicken breader and drop in 350 degree p-nut oil until floating and golden brown! No better way in my opinion!

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

Great looking bird Trey, should make for one fine deep fried culinary wonder.

Justin said...

That's a great looking bird Trey, congrats, but that recipe sounds even better!!

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

Nice job buddy and a purdy bird. Darn don't your cooking option sound DELICIOUS!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

AWESOME!! Nice looking bird. So where's the post on HOW to deep fry this bird that you talked about in the comments? You got me hungry!

Eastern Shore Outdoors said...

Beautiful bird! Great things come to those who wait (in even years, as you say)...Will

Unknown said...

Way to go! Congrats on a great bird! I'm anxiously waiting for opening day out here in Colorado. Hopefully the even number year thing will work out for me too. And I'm with LB.. deep fry instructions would be great.

Bill said...

A little late here but congratulations on a beautiful bird!