Wednesday, May 12, 2010

For the Commodores, playing Wide Receiver, #4 Trent Pruitt!!


The first time I met Trenton Pruitt he was running around my RA classroom at full speed at the First Baptist Church. It was time to settle down and start the weekly lesson so I asked the boys to find their seats. Trenton kept running! He was new to my class and I figured I would set him straight on how we do things around here. I stepped in his path and as he looked up to me (he was 8 at the time) I simply asked him in my most authoritative voice,
"Who are you!"
He replied in a hesitant voice "Trent Pruitt".
"Who are your parents"?
"Robby and Jill Pruitt."
"Do I need to call them and tell them that you are not listening to me?"
"No sir"!

I knew right then that I liked this kid. He said No sir!!! I never had another problem with Trenton. Once the rules were laid out, he had no trouble following them. He is a good kid and one that I am so very proud to know!

I taught Trenton in my RA class for several years. I grew to love him as if he was my own son. Trenton was just one of those kids that had something a little extra special about him. He was always respectful, used his manners, and would always speak to an old guy like me even when he was with his friends. His parents are wonderful people who have raised a wonderful son. I admit that I have tried to remain a part of his life after he graduated from my RA class because you just enjoy being around kids like Trenton. I hope that my son Reid can be an awful lot like him one day!

So why am I writing this blog about this kid? Well, I am also a big fan of Trenton the athlete! You see Trenton just recently signed a letter of intent to play football for the Vanderbilt Commodores on a full ride scholarship. It came as no surprise to me that a fine school like Vanderbilt would want someone like Trenton. He is a very gifted athlete and a very slick football player that can make things happen when he has the ball in his hands, but I read once that Vanderbilt goes after high character kids, not just high talent. They look for a kid that has the ability, the academics, and the right attitude. I believe they found one in Trenton Pruitt.

Trenton will walk across the stage and accept his high school diploma next week. He will then start a new life in Nashville as a college athlete. I am excited for him and so glad that he has achieved his goal of becoming a division one football player, but I sure am going to miss him! Reid will too. He likes to beat Mr. Trenton on the Wii!

Trent I want you to enjoy all the experiences that face you in the near future. I believe that you can handle anything that is in front of you! Just trust in God to lead you down your chosen path and continue to make your parents proud. Set goals for yourself and work hard to accomplish them. Remember to study! You have an academic opportunity in front of you that very few people will ever experience. School needs to be first. Without school, there would be no football! Have fun! These next few years will be the best years of your life and you will make friends that will last a lifetime! Enjoy the experience and soak it all in. It will be over before you know it! Remember to keep in touch with those of us back home. If you ever need any advise, I am just a phone call away!

Lastly I just want you to know how proud I am of you. I am now officially a Commodore fan and I can't wait to see you play on Saturdays after the stadium announcer says.... "Starting at wide receiver, number 4, Trent Pruitt!!!!!!

Congrats on your Graduation!

Mr. Trey

No comments: