Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pro for a day!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to wipe the dust off of my golf clubs and play in a Pro-Am event for the Hooters Tour.  They make a yearly stop through Hawkinsville, GA at SouthernHills Golf Club.  Now the Hooters Tour is not the PGA Tour, but they put on a very nice tournament.  My boss asked me to come play in his foursome so off I went.

The day started off well with some very nice Tee prizes.  We received a nice hat, a cup with some small goodies in it, a bag of the best boiled peanuts you have ever eaten and a $100 gift certificate to be redeemed in the Titleist/Foot Joy store which was there on site.  I turned that gift card into two Foot Joy golf shirts.  We then had lunch and met our Pro that would be playing with our group.  His name was Jonathon Hodge and this is his first year on the Hooters Tour.  He played college golf at Chattanooga and is from Knoxville, TN.  He won three college golf tournaments during his career and his highest finish on tour has been 5th.  He will play in three more Hooters Tour events before he goes to Q school to try and make the Nationwide Tour.  He was a great kid and I hope he does well.

We played really well and shot a very easy 16 under par.  We missed a couple of holes we shouldn't have but we had a great time.  We figured we may have a chance to place until we turned our card in and saw that one team had posted 23 under.  Yes 23 under.  There were also several 21 unders so we were toast!  We packed it in and headed for the house!

It was fun to play golf again.  I have not played much lately and I realized yesterday that I have missed the game.  I can still play pretty well and was definitely hitting it out there as long as the Pro.  I am not the same player that won back to back club championships a few years ago, but I can't expect to be either.  Back then I played every weekend, now I spend most of my time with the kids.  Maybe I can start back playing a little now that my son is getting older.  He likes golf and hits his little clubs around the yard.  It looks like our country club is going to reopen sometime in the next few months so he and I will have a place to play.  It will be fun to play the game I love again on a regular basis.

I will be following the Hooters Tour this week to see how Jonathon does.  I wish him well!!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Trey - you are the best golfer I know :)
At least you know someone read it!
Ash

Unknown said...

Thanks Ash! I can always count on you!

CHERI said...

Hey, Trey! Glad you had fun.