Sunday, August 29, 2010

Man's Best Friend!


Every South Georgia boy needs a good dog!  I have been fortunate enough to have several good dogs in my life.  From my childhood Brittany Spaniel, to my 100 lb Yellow Lab, they have all been special in one way or the other.  But there is just something about my Josey!  Josey, named after the Outlaw Josey Whales, is a Boykin Spaniel who is full of love and good attitude.  She is a bundle of energy in a small package who just may be the easiest dog I have ever trained.  Keep in mind that I did not train Josey to be my hunting partner (although I do not think that she would have any trouble picking it up), but I trained her to be a well mannered dog around my children and loyal companion for myself.  She is only two years old but seems mature beyond her years.  Sure she gets excited when she meets new folks or when someone stops by the house, but she calms down quickly and goes about her business as usual.  She really is a great dog.

Boykin Spaniels were discovered in South Carolina.  They are believed to be a cross between a Water Spaniel and a Springer Spaniel or something of the like.  I just call them a Lab in a small package.  They have great hunting skills and are used as dove and duck retrievers as well as upland hunting.  Josey is constantly flushing birds out of bushes and sniffing around looking for something to find.  She is also a very good squirrel hunter.  She will run squirrels around trees and bark until I can shoot them down.  You can tell that she was born to hunt.  Boykins are also great around children.  Josey is very patient with my kids and tolerates more than most other dogs would.  She loves to wake the kids out of their beds in the morning.

Fall is right around the corner and that means more time outside and out in the shop.  I know that Josey will be there right beside me to watch me work and keep me company.  She will get to eat her share of boiled peanuts and watch her share of college football, and enjoy laying by the fire.  I think she likes fall as much as I do.  Who knows, I may even try and take her out hunting a little this year.  If her Mama will let me!

5 comments:

CHERI said...

Don't know if any dog could ever live up to GINGER in my eyes! But Josey is pretty & sweet.

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a great dog Trey and one that would fit around nicely around here. Something I may have to look into. Thanks for sharing as I've never even heard of this breed before.

Unknown said...

The Boykin Spaniel is actually the State Dog of South Carolina. Great hunting dogs that are known for "Not rocking the boat". They have become a very popular duck dog! Check them out when you get a chance!

CHERI said...

I got "tagged" by another blogger and had to then tag some of my own. I chose you, so go to my blogpost for today and see. Do it if you want to, but you don't have to!!!!

Dennis said...

Great looking dog, and sounds like a winner...we need a new dog, it's been too long...I think this will be the Christmas that the kids (that includes me ;) get a dog.